Mount Eliza – Wimborne Avenue – Laundry
The laundry with a beautiful, cool, coastal feel
Wimborne Ave, Mt Eliza Project.
What was the brief:
- Create a smaller laundry from the existing huge laundry floor plan – half was utilised to create a large ensuite
- Ensure that the laundry is still functional, bright and light
Duration: 3 weeks
Budget: Approx $13K
Colour palette: raw, natural tiles with calming coastal hues
What was the design starting point?
- Half of the existing laundry floor area was lost to create a large ensuite. So we had to design a smaller, compact laundry that was still functional for a 4 bedroom home
What was it like before?
- The laundry was huge, it was proportionally massive compared to the rest of the house and had a lot of valuable unused floor space
- It was in really good condition, but it had to be reduced in size
What exactly did you do in the laundry?
- Completely ripped out the laundry
- Fixed the substrate flooring issues.
- Moved the laundry / ensuite wall around 1.5m back into the laundry room
- Altered all water and drainage pipes to suit the new configuration
- The sink and washing machine points were all hidden under the benchtop
- Altered all electrical to suit, and upgraded all lighting
- Installed new custom cabinetry, tiles and tapware.
- Installed a new external glass door to let more natural light in
What challenges did you work around?
- We repaired and levelled the ceiling battens as the ceiling height in the ensuite and laundry were different by around 30mm
- Installed new ceilings
- Fixed the floor which was 14mm out of level and nowhere near flat
What highlights make it so special?
- The ‘craquel’ tiles and 40mm vivid white caesarstone benchtop paired with the brushed nickel gooseneck tap and undermount basin is a beautiful combination
- The grey terrazzo tile floor is stunning as always, and keeps with the sophisticated coastal theme of the house
Although the laundry is now a smaller footprint, it has ample storage, it is functional, and most importantly it looks amazing
Again, thank you to our clients, we are so grateful for this opportunity
This was a part of a larger $150k project