Mount Eliza – Wimborne Avenue – Master Ensuite Bathroom
Pure Luxury in Mt Eliza - Fulfilling a lifelong dream!
A heartfelt project to a clients forever home…
What was the brief:
- “Somehow create me a large beautiful ensuite. I have no idea how you are going to do it, but that’s what I would love.” – this had been a dream of the client since she was a little girl, and the existing ensuite was tiny.
- Design a new layout utilising the oversized laundry, and robe to create a large master ensuite bathroom, without compromising the laundry being bright and functional.
- Design a raw, natural colour palette that will have continuity throughout the home, and at the same time add vibrancy through beautiful design features.
- The ensuite is part of a large renovation of the master ensuite, walk-in robe, laundry, main bathroom, powder room and walk-in kitchen pantry using smart design.
Location: Wimborne Avenue, Mount Eliza
Who lives here: A couple who were looking for modern upgrades to their forever home
Duration: 5 weeks
Budget: Part of a larger $150K Project – Ensuite Approx $35K
Room Renovated: Master Ensuite
What was your starting point for the new design?
- Our starting point was to firstly redesign a laundry that was large enough to service the 4 bedroom home, but small enough to give space to the master ensuite so we could create a larger luxurious space.
- We got to work on a more detailed layout and through this process realised that we would not have to take any floor space from the walk-in robe, we would steal all that we needed from the laundry.
- Our carpenters got up into the roof space, looked at the structural integrity of the home, and how it had been constructed. This is where our design team notified the clients that we were including a custom designed skylight that would fill the room with light flowing down onto an incredible tiled feature wall above the shower.
What was the space like before?
- The client’s Mt Eliza home had so much more potential, and it was nice, it just needed some smart, sophisticated design ideas to enhance its beautiful old charm.
- The master ensuite was really small, and although it looked ok the shower was leaking.
What exactly did you do in the ensuite?
- We removed the laundry window, framed the old window wall, fitted weatherboards to suit the outside of the existing house.
- Moved the ensuite/laundry wall back about 1.5m, and the big old laundry broom cupboard became the new walk-in shower in the master ensuite.
- We installed a large 1400mm x 500mm VELUX Skylight, and created drama by tiling right up into the new skylight with beautiful blue feature tiles.
- Installed underfloor heating – arguably one of the most underrated luxury items to be included in any bathroom renovation… we love them and so do our clients.
- We installed a new slide-in cavity door, and moved it across 200mm so it would hide the new position of the toilet in the ensuite.
Key design aspects
Colour palette: raw, natural tiles and timber balanced with a vibrant blue feature
Master ensuite inclusions:
- Wall Tiles – White, square, handmade, rough cut
- Floor Tiles – Blue terrazzo
- Feature Tiles – Blue subway
- Vanity – Custom timberline wall hung
- Handles – Finger pull
- Stone Benchtop – Arctic white
- Basins – Dark grey, round, above counter
- Tapware – Brushed nickel
- Shower Screen – Frameless single panel
- Window Furnishing – Plantation shutters
- Paint – Lexicon quarter
- Skylight – VELUX
- Mirror shaving cabinets – Timberline ‘Jazz Arch’
- Lighting – LED strip light with sensor, LED downlights
What challenges did you work around?
- On removal of the ensuite bathroom we found timber damage to the subfloor framing that had been created due to water leaking over time. Evidence of cracks, sticky doors and uneven joins at doorways are a giveaway when this happens.
- We repaired the damaged floor subframe, and did all that we could to level the floors as best as possible by replacing some joists and laminating others.
- We found asbestos in the ceiling of the laundry/ensuite that was hidden under a new ceiling, so we had licensed asbestos removal specialists come in and remove it.
- We fixed all of the ceiling battens as the heights of the two rooms were different by about 30mm. Then the new wall frame was built between the ensuite and laundry.
What are the highlights in this master ensuite that make it so special?
- We love everything about this master ensuite – but that skylight and blue tiled feature wall is nothing short of spectacular.
- The natural light and ambiance it creates draws you in, to feel like you are in your very own day spa. Staring up at the stars at night, with the soft glow of the under-vanity LED light, and the rain head shower is everything you need and want after a long day.
- The clever interior design of the timber vanity, coloured above counter bowls, paired with brushed nickel tapware and those amazing Jazz Arch inset mirror shaving cabinets – wow!
- This master ensuite is the epitome of luxury… It is ‘Pure Luxe’ and we LOVE IT!
Thank you to our wonderful clients who were amazing to work with. This project is really heartfelt, we love it when our clients are happy with the end result, especially when we fulfil a lifelong dream. They have been fun, and positively interactive throughout the entire renovation period in a very tough Covid 19 world.
You can fulfill your renovation dreams too!
Contact our friendly team today for a free consultation, we would love to hear from you.